Moist, fudgy, and easier than you could ever imagine, my 10 Minute Easy Chocolate Cake recipe bakes in your microwave faster than your oven can preheat.
Hi Bold Bakers!
It’s been a while since I made an ENTIRE cake in the microwave, but I am back with a highly requested recipe for a 10-Minute Easy Chocolate Cake Made in the Microwave! We’ve made all kind of Mug Meals, Brownies and 3 Layer Cakes in the microwave, so “microbaking” is one of our Big and Bold signatures! This Chocolate Cake Made in the Microwave is moist, fudgy, and packed with chocolate and can be made in MINUTES.
If baking a cake intimidates you, allow me to introduce you to this super impressive yet approachable take on a Chocolate Cake!
What Cake Pans Can I Use In The Microwave?
When microbaking it’s really important to use a microwave-safe dish. I use these Silicone Cake Molds. These are the perfect size and material for baking in the microwave. They are not only safe and easy to clean, but they are flexible which is great for turning out the cooked cakes. If you don’t have molds, don’t worry! Just use any microwave safe dish.
How Do I Know My Chocolate Cake Is Done?
You will be amazed by how quickly and evenly this chocolate cake bakes in the microwave. You will know when the cake is done when it’s firm to the touch in the middle and it pulls away from the sides of the pan.
How Do I Store Chocolate Cake?
After the cake has been decorated, cover the cake in cling wrap or a reusable airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 4 days. It also freezes really well un-frosted for up to 4 weeks. This makes it a great make-ahead dessert option for all kinds of events and last-minute entertaining.
Tips and Tricks to making Chocolate Cake in the Microwave:
- You can substitute the eggs with apple sauce, buttermilk, or banana. For quantities reference my Egg Substitute Chart.
- Use any type of yogurt e.g./ plain, Greek, or even dairy free
- Don’t be tempted to use hot chocolate powder instead of cocoa powder. They are not the same thing.
- Allow your butter to sit out overnight to come to room temperature before making the batter
- Always start with room temperature eggs. To bring cold eggs to room temperature quicker, put them in a bowl of warm for 10 minutes before using.
- The cook time below is based on my microwave which is 1200 Watts, so your cook time may vary depending on your microwave.
- If you don’t have silicone molds then use any microwave safe dish.
Get More Microwave Recipes!
I wrote a cookbook! The Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook is available for pre-order!
And don’t forget to follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
10 Minute Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe Made In The Microwave
Moist, fudgy, and easier than you could ever imagine, my 10 Minute Chocolate Cake recipe bakes in your microwave faster than your oven can preheat.
- ½ cup (2oz/57g) cocoa powder
- 1½ cups (7.5oz/210g) all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ (6oz/180g) sticks butter, ( room temperature)
- 1 cup (8 oz/225g) sugar
- 3 eggs, (beaten*)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (10oz/282g) plain yogurt
- ¼ cup (1.5oz/43g) chocolate, (melted )
- 1 recipe Best Ever Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Butter 3 (6-inch) round silicone cake molds and line the bottoms with a round piece of parchment paper.
Place a sieve over a mixing bowl and add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sieve ingredients together and set aside.
Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy.
Slowly add in the eggs and beat on high speed. (High speed will stop this mix from separating.)
Swiftly mix in the yogurt, vanilla, and melted chocolate and mix in quickly.
Lastly by hand, using a large spoon fold in flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
Divide the batter evenly between 3 silicone cake molds (or any microwave safe dish).
One layer at a time, microwave each cake for roughly 2 minutes – 2 minutes 20 seconds. (this cooking time is based on my microwave which is 1200 Watts so your cook time may vary).
You will know when the cake is done when it’s firm to the touch in the middle and it pulls away from the sides of the pan. Take care not to overcook or they will dry out. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool in the pan before turning out on a cooling rack.
To decorate the cake:
Start by frosting between the layers with a generous scoop of my Best Ever Fudge Frosting. Line up the cakes as you go so your cake isn’t leaning in the end. Add more frosting on top and top with fresh berries for color. (see above video for more detail)
Cover the cake and store at room temperature for up to 5 days. It also freezes really well for up to 4 weeks.
Substitute the eggs in this cake with apple sauce or banana. Check out my Egg Substitute chart for more info.
The post 10-Minute Easy Chocolate Cake (Made in the Microwave) appeared first on Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking.