Roasted Garlic, Sundried Tomatoes with Slate River Dairy Herb Cheese

Roasted Garlic, Sundried Tomatoes with Slate River Dairy Herb Cheese

The local dairy that I get my yogurt from is slowly expanding their products and the latest is a hard Herb Cheese. 

 It is actually fairly strong tasting and the thyme really comes through. I thought it would be perfect with some roasted garlic and sun dried tomatoes. So here goes:


Makes 3 loaves. 



63 g starter

63 g water

110 g unbleached flour

15 g freshly milled Rye flour



750 g strong bakers unbleached flour

100 g freshly milled Kamut flour

100 g freshly milled Spelt flour

50 g freshly milled Rye flour

800 g filtered water

22 g pink Himalayan salt

30 g Slate River yogurt

250 g levain from above



82 g Roasted Garlic (4 heads)

85 g Sun dried tomatoes 

70 g Slate River Herb Cheese


A few days before:

  1. Get your starter up to speed by feeding it two or three times. I fed mine 3 times with rye and unbleached flour. 
  2. Oops! I forgot so I ended up feeding it only two nights before and sped it up by keeping it in a very warm place. 


Two nights before:

  1. Mix the starter with the water and then add the flours. Let ferment at room temperature (70 F or so) for 12 hours. Refrigerate until the morning of making the dough. 
  2. Well that was the plan. 🙄Unfortunately I forgot and did this the night before. So it didn’t get any refrigerator time. 


The night before:

  1. Mill and measure out your flours and set aside covered.
  2. Roast the garlic and mash. (Cut off top of head, drizzle with olive oil, cover with foil and roast at 400 F for 45 minutes.)
  3. Chop sun-dried tomatoes, unless you get lucky like me and have the daughter find them already chopped. 😁Set aside. 
  4. Grate Herb Cheese. 
  5. Refrigerate garlic and cheese. 


Dough making day:

  1. Remove the levain from the fridge to warm up to room temperature.
  2. Mix the flours and the water in a stand mixer and mix on low for one or two minutes until you have a shaggy dough and no dry flour. Let autolyse for a couple of hours.
  3. Remove add-ins from fridge to bring to room temperature. 
  4. Add the salt, the yogurt and the starter in chunks. Mix on low for 1 minute to mix the ingredients and then mix on the next speed up for 9 minutes to develop the gluten.
  5. Add the add-ins gradually and mix for a minute or two to distribute them throughout the dough.
  6. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Place in a warm spot (82 F-My warm spot is my oven with the lights on and the door cracked open) and let ferment for 4 hours with two sets of stretches and folds at 50 and 100 minutes. My dough rose about 50% by the end of bulk fermentation. 
  7. Tip the dough out on a bare counter, sprinkle the top with flour and divide into portions of ~775g. Round out the portions into rounds with a dough scraper and let rest 30 minutes on the counter. 
  8. Do a final shape by flouring the rounds and flipping the rounds over on a lightly floured counter. Gently stretch the dough out into a circle. Pull and fold the third of the dough closest to you over the middle. Pull the right side and fold over the middle and do the same to the left. Fold the top end to the center patting out any cavities. Finally stretch the two top corners and fold over each other in the middle. Roll the bottom of the dough away from you until the seam is underneath the dough. Cup your hands around the dough and pull towards you, doing this on all sides of the dough to round it off. Finally spin the dough to make as tight boule as you can.
  9. Place the dough seam side down in rice floured bannetons. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Mine were in the fridge for 16 hours. 

Baking Day:

  1. The next morning, heat the oven to 475 F with the Dutch ovens inside for 45 minutes to an hour. Turn out the dough seam side up onto a cornmeal sprinkled counter. Place rounds of parchment paper in the bottom of the pots, and carefully but quickly place the dough, seam side up, inside. 
  2. Cover the pots and bake the loaves at 450 F for 25 minutes, remove the lids, and bake for another 22 minutes at 425 F. Internal temperature should be 205 F or more.